With our years of experience assisting both sellers and buyers throughout Maine, Team Harmon/Carroll has learned a few things about what is required to make a home sell quickly, and to maximize the profit for our sellers! Here are a few things you, the seller, should think about when preparing your home for listing, while your home is 'on the market' and at closing and beyond. Read through, and click here for more information about preparing your home to be photographed for your listing:
William Shakespeare said that "All the world's a stage..." and the home or property that you are getting ready to sell is no exception! Consider potential buyers your audience, and remember that making a good first impression on your audience is going to make a big difference in whether or not your those buyers will ultimately take a second look (and hopefully make an offer!) on your home. Here are some tips to help you get 'top of the market' price for your home:
Time for the home inspection? Many of these items are regular maintenance items for a home and can be done at little or no cost.
1.Clean debris from the roof and clean out gutters
2. Trim trees, roots and bushes back from the foundation, roof, siding and chimney.
3. Paint all weathered exterior wood, and caulk around the trim, chimney, windows and doors.
4. Seal or point up masonry and chimney caps.
5. Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in safe working order.
6. Replace any burned out light bulbs.
7. Test all GFCI receptacles for proper operation.
8. Check that the bathroom fans are properly vented and in working condition.
9. Create clear access to the attic, crawl space, heating systems, garage, and other areas that will need to be inspected.
10. If the house is vacant, make sure that all utilities are turned on.
11. Remove rotting wood and/or firewood from contact with the house.